TEACHING APPLICATION PROCESS
Summit Public Schools is looking to add innovative, impassioned, high-performing teachers to our growing network of schools for the 2016-2017 school year. At Summit, we are expanding a model of schools that puts students in the driver’s seat, equipping them with the powerful and enduring skills necessary for success in the 21st century workforce. We’re excited to get to know you through our hiring process. We’re excited to connect with interested candidates about joining the Summit team!
Before applying for a teaching position we recommend you review the following to familiarize yourself with our approach:
- Watch this brief video about our model and how it facilitates deeper learning and encourages students in their development (5 minutes)
- View our Teacher profiles of our phenomenal teachers, and learn why they chose Summit.
- Read this article in which US News & World Report describes Summit as a ‘School of the Future’.
- Read CEO Diane Tavenner’s overview of the essential traits of a personalized learning leader.
- Commitment to uphold Summit’s values and belief that all children deserve a rigorous, college-preparatory education
- A California Teaching Credential (or a commitment to obtain one) - if you have any questions please review our credentialing FAQ document or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are uncertain whether your credential is sufficient
- A Bachelor’s Degree (a Master’s Degree in Education is preferred but not required)
- Teaching experience in your subject preferred but not required
Process Overview and Timeline
Our hiring process typically lasts 3-4 weeks. Candidates often have the ability to accelerate this process by quickly following up with our communication. Our Hiring Team carefully reviews all completed applications.
The application stage is comprised of two submissions:
Resume and Application Submission (15-20 minutes) - When reviewing your resume, we are interested in the progression and milestones of your career. Rather than simply writing the title of your position (“Tenth Grade Science Teacher”), we want to know more about your role and responsibilities in that position. We encourage you to highlight your accomplishments in each role and how they demonstrate your expertise.
Review of Submissions
Your completed application will be reviewed by our Hiring Team. You will hear from us within three business days of completing all components of your application. Candidates that advance past the application stage will be invited to a final round interview with a group of our school leaders. In advance of final round interviews, we will also request the opportunity to connect with your references.
Reference Checks: On your online application, you will be asked to submit the names of three references. A member of our Hiring Team may contact your references in advance of final round of interviews. We will inform you if you are moved to a stage in the process in which we will check your references. The reference information that is most useful to our team is that which comes from supervisors - current and former - and others who can speak directly to the skills you have related to this position.
- Final Round Interview (estimated 60 minutes): The final step in our hiring process will be with a group of our school leaders that have openings for the position you have applied for. The interview is conducted either in-person at one of our school sites or over video conference. The interview will include both behavioral questions as well as performance tasks. We will provide additional information about preparing for that interview when candidates are advanced to this round.
We are excited to get to know you through this process, and we’re eager to respond to any questions you may have. For more information on the application and selection process please review our FAQ page. You may also contact us at email@example.com and we will be in touch within 1-2 business days. Thank you for choosing to apply to Summit!